Understanding JAMB’s Central Admission Processing System (CAPS): How it works and its Benefits to Candidates – In 2007, the body responsible for admission of candidates into higher institutions of learning in Nigeria, Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), introduced a Central Admission Processing System (CAPS) to replace the manual process of admitting applicants; and, therefore, eliminates the human errors associated with it.
Processing of admission by all higher institutions for candidates through the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and Direct Entry (DE) shall be done on the JAMB’s CAPS portal – caps.jamb.gov.ng.
- 1 How the Central Admission Processing System (CAPS) Works
- 2 What happens when you reject admission on JAMB CAPS
- 3 What happens when you accept admission on JAMB CAPS
- 4 Major Benefits of CAPS to Candidates
How the Central Admission Processing System (CAPS) Works
Each institution has a dashboard on CAPS. This dashboard is managed by the Admission Officer of each institution. The Admission Officer sets the institution’s admission criteria, the admission quota and number of candidates expected for each course on the dashboard. The admission criteria include the institution’s general UTME cut-off mark, the UTME cut-off mark for each course or programme (for merit, catchment etc.), Post-UTME screening cut-off mark, O’Level or SSCE result grading as well as other admission criteria the institution wants to use in selecting candidates.
These admission criteria differ from institution to institution. Some institutions may use all the admission criteria specified by JAMB (UTME score + PostUTME score + SSCE result grading) while some institutions may use UTME score + PostUTME score or SSCE result grading).
The Admission Officers will equally determine the percentage weight for each of the admission criteria set on CAPS, e.g. UTME Score = 50%, Post-UTME = 30%, SSCE result grading = 20% (note that the total percentage is 100). Please note that most institutions insist on admitting only candidates that selected them as first choice.
Once this is done, CAPS will automatically rank and list the candidates that applied to an institution and are qualified for admission into the institution based on the criteria the institution has set in the System. A proposed admission list would now be made available by the System, which the institution’s Admission Officer is to download and send to the head of the institution for approval. If the institution rejects a candidate on the list, a reason has to be given. With the approval of the list, the final list of candidates is re-uploaded to CAPS portal. The admission status of each candidate is then communicated through personal profile earlier created when registering.
Candidates are to either accept or reject the admission. You choose ‘ACCEPT’ if you are offered admission into the course you applied for or an alternative course the institution offers and which you are okay with. If, on the other hand, the institution offers you admission to study a course you do not want or you are no longer interested in that institution, you have the right to reject the admission.
What happens when you reject admission on JAMB CAPS
If you reject the admission, your details will be put in what JAMB calls the “Market Place” for other institutions that can accept the qualification you have for the course you intend to study or any other course to offer you admission; in this case, most likely, the private institutions.
What happens when you accept admission on JAMB CAPS
Once an institution offers you admission and you accept the admission, you have been automatically admitted into the institution. You no longer have the opportunity to reject the admission and be put in the Market Place for other institutions to consider you for admission. You either take it or wait for another year.
Major Benefits of CAPS to Candidates
- CAPS prevents backdoor admission. It means only candidates who select an institution and accept offer of admission from the institution will be admitted by that institution. The idea of getting admission in an institution because you know a top official in the institution is over because any name introduced into the System, which is not originally on the System for that particular institution will not be accepted, neither will it be approved by JAMB for admission.
- CAPS enables JAMB to verify the O’Level results uploaded by candidates directly from the examination bodies such as WAEC, NECO and NABTEB.
- The method will help in ensuring that institutions maintain almost a uniform academic calendar.
- The method will equally ensure that institutions comply with admission criteria and timeline.
- Peradventure there are admission spaces yet to be filled for some courses after an institution has admitted candidates that applied to it, CAPS makes it easier for such institutions to fill their admission quotas by going to the “Market Place” to look for candidates that meet their requirements and offer such candidates admission.
- The method will increase the chances of candidates getting admission through the CAPS’ “Market Place”.
- The method eliminates multiple admissions.
- It enhances inclusiveness, equity, transparency and accountability in the admission process.
- A candidate’s status can be updated throughout his/her academic life in the institution (Admission deferment, transfer, withdrawal, rustication, expulsion and death).
- Government departments and institutions (e.g. NYSC, Scholarship Boards, State and Local Governments, etc) can easily access these data for official purposes.
Note: It is one thing to write JAMB Examination, it is another thing to be admitted. It is also possible to get admission but very possible to be admitted in the department you do not desire or want. We really care for you, our main interest is your happiness, therefore JOIN us for updates to avoid being left behind. Also, for scholarship updates, be part of our Successful family by using the steps below.
Kindly subscribe to the site using your Email address for FREE for updates
Join Our Social Media Platforms for Information Forum
The Social Media will help you communicate with many people, meet new people, even people in your fields and help get updates faster